On Saturday 8th April the 25th Anniversary of the Norwegian Church was celebrated by the Welsh Norwegian Society in the Norwegian Church, Cardiff Bay.
We were joined by the following special guests with past connections to the Norwegian Church:
- Terje Inderhaug
- George & Lyndsay Bartlett - George was Company Secretary and Trustee of the Norwegian Church Preservation Trust until 2006
- Mike Parkinson, representing his late father Ewart Parkinson OBE - Ewart was President of the Norwegian Church Preservation Trust until 2006
- Amy Vignes & grandson Luca (proudly quarter Norwegian!) - Amy was a member of the Norwegian Church management committee. Her late husband Geoff Vignes was the first Chairman of the Norwegian Church management committee until 1995.
- David & Pat Griffiths - David was the first Administrator of the Norwegian Church Arts Centre until 1997.
- Neil Sinclair & sister Leslie - Neil was Chairman of the Norwegian Church management committee 1999, and is an authority on the history of Tiger Bay.
Welsh Norwegian Society member Professor John Hines, former chair of the Norwegian Church management committee, kindly gave a welcome speech for our visitors and society members in attendance.
This was followed by a short talk by Terje which warmly recalled the efforts to save the Norwegian Seamen's Church in the 1980s, and also looked ahead to the future of the twinning links between Cardiff and Hordaland. Terje is confident the links can grow again to include wider cultural and economic development links, in addition to the strong Hordaland schools exchange link.
Following this celebration there will be further events over the summer to continue the close links enjoyed by Cardiff and Hordaland and these will be announced shortly.